Jon Rutherford is the director of sales and acquisitions at Toronto-based prodco Portfolio Entertainment. He is gearing up to go to his sixth MIP. Here are his top five tips on how to best prepare yourself to hit the market.
1. Acquire new programming to premiere at the market. This is usually the result of months of research and negotiation with third-party producers. MIPs are always ideal for launching new product.
2. Create a delegate meeting hit list using MIPWORLD database and start to schedule meetings with key executives starting two months before the market.
3. Research the companies and executives you have meetings with to better anticipate their needs. Create agendas for each meeting to ensure you cover everything you researched prior to the market. Basically know your audience!
4. Prepare all audio-visual marketing and support materials well in advance of the deadlines. This includes program one-sheets, episode synopsis, DVD screeners, promotional giveaways, etc.
5. Try to leave space in the agenda for lunch and dinner! The week is a whirlwind of meetings and it’s easy to lose out on much needed time for yourself. Regarding lunch/dinner meetings, make sure all reservations are booked in advance!