TV

Network Ten sacks Australian Idol judge in wake of radio scandal

Australia's Network Ten has announced that radio host and Australian Idol judge Kyle Sandilands will not be returning to the series as it heads into its seventh season this Sunday (August 9). The sacking comes days after a controversial live segment during Sandilands' radio show, co-hosted with Jackie Henderson (aka Jackie O) on 2Day FM. During the segment, a 14-year-old girl was hooked up to a lie detector in the presence of her mother and asked questions about her sexual history, to which she said that she had been raped. Ten acknowledged the public outcry following the event in its statement regarding Sandilands, which read in part: 'Australian Idol is firmly a family program and the recent controversy surrounding Kyle's radio program (The Kyle and Jackie O show) has highlighted more than ever the conflicting attitude of the two careers.' The net's statement also says that the show's producer, FremantleMedia Australia, is 'supportive of the decision made.' The radio show has also been taken off air indefinitely.
August 4, 2009

Australia’s Network Ten has announced that radio host and Australian Idol judge Kyle Sandilands will not be returning to the series as it heads into its seventh season this Sunday (August 9). The sacking comes days after a controversial live segment during Sandilands’ radio show, co-hosted with Jackie Henderson (aka Jackie O) on 2Day FM. During the segment, a 14-year-old girl was hooked up to a lie detector in the presence of her mother and asked questions about her sexual history, to which she said that she had been raped. Ten acknowledged the public outcry following the event in its statement regarding Sandilands, which read in part: ‘Australian Idol is firmly a family program and the recent controversy surrounding Kyle’s radio program (The Kyle and Jackie O show) has highlighted more than ever the conflicting attitude of the two careers.’ The net’s statement also says that the show’s producer, FremantleMedia Australia, is ‘supportive of the decision made.’ The radio show has also been taken off air indefinitely.

About The Author
Barry Walsh is editor and content director for realscreen, and has served as editor of the publication since 2009. With a career in entertainment media that spans two decades, prior to realscreen, he held the associate editor post for now defunct sister publication Boards, which focused on the advertising and commercial production industries. Before Boards, he served as editor of Canadian Music Network, a weekly music industry trade, and as music editor for HMV.com. As content director, he also oversees the development of content for the brand's market-leading events, the Realscreen Summit and Realscreen West, as well as new content initiatives.

Menu

Search