News

History to launch Civil War Student Challenge

U.S. cable network History is launching the National Civil War Student Challenge, an online competition with a US$15,000 scholarship top prize, as part of its four-year Civil War coverage.
March 22, 2011

U.S. cable network History is launching the National Civil War Student Challenge, an online competition with a US$15,000 scholarship top prize, as part of its four-year Civil War coverage.

The competition will test high school students on Civil War history and award more than $30,000 in college scholarships, including a $15,000 scholarship to the grand prize winner.

The initiative is being launched with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, a provider of educational products, and will launch April 7.

“It has been said that to know your history is to shape your future,” said Nancy Dubuc, History’s president and general manager. “That has never been more true than with the National Civil War Student Challenge. A $15,000 scholarship could literally be life-changing for the grand prize winner.”

As previously reported, History is marking the 150th anniversary of the start of the American Civil War next month with a line-up of programming which will run over four years.

The network is currently in production on a two-hour feature, Gettysburg (pictured above), which is being exec produced by Tony and Ridley Scott (Top Gun, Gladiator, Blade Runner) through their prodco Scott Free Productions.

About The Author
Selina Chignall joins the realscreen team as a staff writer. Prior to working with rs, she covered lobbying activity at Hill Times Publishing. She also spent a year covering the Hill as a journalist with iPolitics. Her beat focused on youth, education, democratic reform, innovation and infrastructure. She holds a Master of Arts in Journalism from Western University and a Honours Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto.

Menu

Search