Gypsies were the big draw for Channel 4 (C4) in 2011, with Firecracker Films’ titles Big Fat Gypsy Weddings (pictured), My Big Fat Gypsy Christmas and My Big Fat Royal Gypsy Wedding the UK network’s three highest-rating programs across the year.
According to annual ratings figures released by the network, C4′s portfolio of channels delivered a higher growth in share than any other terrestrial portfolio in 2011 – scoring an 11.6% share across Channel 4 total, E4 total, More4 total, Film4 and 4Music; up 2% on 2010′s portfolio share (11.4%).
Despite the growth, C4’s core channel posted an overall ratings decline, delivered a 6.8% share, down from 7.0% in 2010, The network said the 0.2 percentage share points drop was attributable to the cancellation of long-running reality show Big Brother.
Digital channel More4, which airs predominantly non-fiction content, grew share by 10% in 2011, averaging 1.22% for 2011, compared to 1.11% in 2010. Meanwhile E4 averaged a 1.82% share across 2011, up from 1.79% in 2010, and in its key audience of 16-34s, grew share by 8% year on year, achieving a 4.75% share of this demographic in 2011, the network said.
Of C4’s 10 best performing titles of 2011, only one was a drama, with the rest being non-fiction. The top performing programs of 2011 on C4 in total, excluding films, by highest occurrence were:
1) Big Fat Gypsy Weddings (February 8, 9 p.m. 9.710m/32.8% share)
2) My Big Fat Gypsy Christmas (December 13, 9 p.m. 7.246m/25.6% share)
3) My Big Fat Royal Gypsy Wedding (April 28, 9 p.m. 5.321/19.8% share)
4) Embarrassing Bodies (February 4, 9 p.m. 4.858m/18.7% share)
5) Shameless (January 10, 10 p.m. 4.490m/21.0% share)
6) The Big Fat Quiz of the Year (December 27, 9 p.m. 4.350m/16.4% share)
7) Grand Designs (September 28, 9 p.m. 4.159m/16.4% share)
8) Cutting Edge: Obsessive Compulsive Hoarder (December 21, 9 p.m. 4.036m /15.0% share)
9) One Born Every Minute (February 14, 9 p.m. 3.889m/13.9% share)
10) Embarrassing Fat Bodies (June 6, 9 p.m. 3.853m/13.5% share)