The Writers Guild of America (WGA) has nominated five documentaries, including Dirty Wars, Stories We Tell (pictured) and We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks, for its outstanding screenplay prize.
The films up for the documentary screenplay award are:
- Dirty Wars – Written by Jeremy Scahill and David Riker; Sundance Selects
- Herblock – The Black & The White – Written by Sara Lukinson and Michael Stevens; The Stevens Company
- No Place on Earth – Written by Janet Tobias and Paul Laikin; Magnolia Pictures
- Stories We Tell - Written by Sarah Polley; Roadside Attractions
- We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks – Written by Alex Gibney; Focus Features
The docs that were eligible for the award had a theatrical run in LA or New York for one week in 2013, and featured an on-screen writing credit. They also were produced under the jurisdiction of the WGA or an affiliate Guild.
The winners will be named during the organization’s February 1 ceremonies, held simultaneously in Los Angeles and New York City.