Clarkson settles lawsuit with “Top Gear” producer

Former BBC Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson (pictured) has settled a personal injury and racial discrimination suit with BBC producer Oisin Tymon for a reported £100,000 sum.
February 24, 2016

Former BBC Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson (pictured) has settled a personal injury and racial discrimination suit with BBC producer Oisin Tymon.

In June 2015, the BBC replaced Clarkson with  Chris Evans following a highly publicized “fracas” in which the presenter, according to an internal investigation later launched by the BBC, verbally and physically attacked Tymon, leaving the producer with a bloody lip.

The investigation also found that Clarkson had labeled the producer a “lazy Irish [expletive]” during the exchange.

Though financial details were not disclosed, the BBC reported that the settlement was in excess of £100,000 (US$139,400), to which both Clarkson and the BBC contributed amounts.

“I would like to say sorry, once again, to Oisin Tymon for the incident and its regrettable aftermath. I want to reiterate that none of this was in any way his fault,” said Clarkson in a statement. “I would also like to make it clear that the abuse he has suffered since the incident is unwarranted and I am sorry too that he has had to go through that.”

In July 2015, Clarkson, alongside co-presenters James May and Richard Hammond and executive producer Andy Wilman, signed a deal with VOD platform Amazon Prime to develop a new car series.

Clarkson confirmed via Twitter that the untitled Amazon series began filming Wednesday (February 24).

Meanwhile, the highly-anticipated, revamped Top Gear series, which recently unveiled its final hosting lineup consisting of seven presenters, is expected to return to BBC2 with 16 hour-long episodes beginning May 8.

Top Gear is one of the world’s most-watched factual programs, with an estimated global audience of 350 million in 212 territories.

“The action involving Mr. Tymon has been concluded. Oisin is keen to put the matter behind him now that it has been brought to a close,” said Tymon’s lawyer Paul Daniels at Slater & Gordon. “Oisin greatly appreciates all of the support he has received, including from the BBC. He remains focused on the creative work he loves at the BBC.”

“Oisin is a valued member of the BBC who behaved with huge integrity in dealing with the very difficult circumstances last year – a situation in which, as Tony Hall has stated, he was completely blameless,” added the BBC in a statement. “Oisin has made an important contribution to the BBC in his 12 years with us, and we hope to see him continue to realize his potential in his role as a development executive. We believe Oisin has a very exciting future at the BBC.”

About The Author
Daniele Alcinii is a news reporter at realscreen, the leading international publisher of non-fiction film and television industry news and content. He joins the rs team with journalism experience following a stint out west with Sun Media in Edmonton's Capital Region, and communications work in Melbourne, Australia and Toronto. You can follow him on Twitter at @danielealcinii.