FOCAL International has opened the submissions phase for the 14th annual FOCAL International Footage Awards across 15 categories.
The awards look to recognize the best use of stock, library and archival footage across platforms, plus its restoration, and the researchers and archivists behind it.
Producers, filmmakers and other creative professionals who have utilized archive footage in a documentary, feature film or any other form of production over the last year are encouraged to submit their work for consideration. There are also awards for best archive researcher, library and restoration work.
Recent winners for best use of footage in a documentary include Asif Kapadia‘s Amy (pictured) and Senna, as well as Andre Singer’s Night Will Fall. Previous Lifetime Achievement winners have included Rick Prelinger, Grover Crisp and Raye Farr.
Deadline for submissions is Dec. 1 via the FOCAL website, with a qualifying period for productions that premiered in 2016. Any productions to debut during December can apply through late submission by prior arrangement.
The 14th annual FOCAL International Awards will be held on May 25, 2017 at an awards ceremony at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London.
In all production title categories, the submission fee is US$96 (£75). No fees apply for all other categories.
For full details and the submissions entry form can be found here.
The 2017 FOCAL International Award Categories are follows:
- Best Use of Footage in a History Production
- Best Use of Footage in a History Feature
- Best Use of Footage in a Factual Production
- Best Use of Footage in an Entertainment Production
- Best Use of Footage in an Arts Production
- Best Use of Footage in a Music Production
- Best Use of Sports Footage
- Best use of Footage about the Natural World
- Best Use of Footage on Other Platforms
- Best Use of Footage in a Cinema Release
- Best Archive Restoration & Preservation Project
- The Jane Mercer Footage Researcher of the Year Award
- Footage Employee of the Year
- Footage Library of the Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award