PBS picks up NA rights to Bill Nye: Science Guy
PBS Distribution (PBSd) will release the film in theaters across the country later this year, following a festival tour including upcoming screenings at AFI Docs in Washington, D.C. and the Los Angeles Film Festival. PBSd will handle all home entertainment, digital, educational/non-theatrical and Canadian rights.
The doc, which premiered at the South by Southwest Film Festival in March, will have its broadcast premiere on PBS’ doc strand POV in 2018.
Bill Nye: Science Guy (pictured) follows the scientist and TV personality in his quest to spark passion in Americans for science and science education.
TVF International heads to NATPE
Documentary distributor TVF International will unveil its latest slate of programming at NATPE Budapest next week.
On the slate are:
- BBC1′s latest David Attenborough-fronted doc, Jumbo: The Life of an Elephant Superstar (1 x 60), which uses forensic science to investigate the life of the world’s most famous elephant.
- CNBC’s business competition series Pop Up Start Up (6 x 50) which sees two contestants each episode compete to manufacture and sell their original products in pop-up stores and win investment for their business.
- The new health documentary The Checklist Effect (1 x 44) based on Atul Gawande’s bestselling book.
- John Torode’s Asia following the MasterChef presenter as he cooks up traditional dishes on location across Asia and the new British royal history series At Her Majesty’s Service from Channel 4.
TVF has also sold a number of programs to channels across Central and Eastern Europe.
- In Poland, Polsat acquired Supershoppers, Channel 4′s consumer advice series, now in its third season. It also picked up TVNZ’s blue light series Street Hospital 2.
- Also in Poland, StudioMed TV bought a package of health titles including HLN’s The Dose with Dr Billy. Mega Channel, Koha Vision and iTVN were among the broadcasters that picked up the latest instalments of Innovation Nation, CBS’s pop science series now in its sixth season. Mega’s 80+ hour package also included luxury travel series Luxe Asia and fishing series Monster Carp and The Big Fish Off from ITV4.
- In Hungary, TV2 acquired Ultimate Braai Master, e.tv South Africa’s long-running barbecue competition series.
All deals were brokered by Lindsey Ayotte, senior sales executive.
Terranoa makes presales ahead of Sunny Side
Ahead of Sunny Side of the Doc, Paris-based distributor Terranoa has made two pre-sales on the RDI Canada and RTBF in Belgium joint production, Soviet Football (1×52) which is slated for October 2017, a year ahead of the World Cup in Russia next summer.
The Smithsonian Channel and Discovery Asia and VRT in Belgium have picked up Tokyo Phoenix which premiered at MIPDOC. Commercial broadcaster UKTV has acquired a 10-hour package deal of History titles.
Other new titles seeking pre-buys at Sunny Side are Josephine Baker, The Story of an Awakening (1 x 52) from Kepler 22 production for ARTE and Homo Spatius by Cocottes minutes Productions for France 5. Both titles are set to be delivered next year.