The 93-minute film, which reignites Spurlock’s battle with the food industry as he opens his own fast food restaurant, will release theatrically in 2018, followed by the exclusive global premiere on the company’s SVOD service YouTube Red. In an interview with realscreen earlier this month, Spurlock confirmed that there were “interested parties” in the documentary, and today (Sept. 22) YouTube confirmed the acquisition.
Super Size Me 2 marks the second time Spurlock has partnered with YouTube, following the successful release of his documentary Vlogumentary on YouTube Red in 2016.
Spurlock first delved into the food industry over a decade ago in his 2004 Oscar-nominated doc, Super Size Me — a gastronomic social experiment in which the director ate nothing but McDonald’s for an entire month. He returned 13 years later with the sequel Holy Chicken! which held its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival earlier this month.
The documentary was produced by Warrior Poets’ Spurlock, Jeremy Chilnick and Matthew Galkin, as well as Keith Calder and Jessica Calder of Snoot Entertainment, and Spencer Silna and Nicole Barton of Public Domain.
“Morgan Spurlock has tackled so many thought-provoking topics over the years, and we’re thrilled to partner with him once again on this revealing documentary,” said Susanne Daniels, global head of original content at YouTube, said in a statement. “Morgan is skilled at sparking a global conversation on today’s most relevant issues, and Super Size Me 2 is yet another powerful film that will captivate viewers.”
YouTube Red is currently available in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Korea.