UPDATE, 04/04/18: The female suspect in Tuesday’s shooting incident at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, California, who police say died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after wounding three others, has been identified as Nasim Aghdam.
Three victims from the shooting have been confirmed, with one, a 36-year-old man, in critical condition and another, a 32-year-old woman, in serious condition, according to the Associated Press. Investigators are saying they do not think Aghdam specifically targeted the victims.
YouTube employees began tweeting about the presence of an active shooter at the company’s Cherry Avenue headquarters at around 1 p.m. PST on Tuesday (April 3).
In a statement to employees, Sundar Pichai, CEO of YouTube parent company Google, wrote: “I know a lot of you are in shock right now. Over the coming days we will continue to provide support to help everyone in our Google family heal from this unimaginable tragedy.”
The Associated Press reports that the female suspect had channels on YouTube and was angered over what she considered to be recent suppression and filtering of her content by the streaming platform. In an online video, posted under the name Nasime Sabz, she says that her new videos received “hardly any views” and that older, more popular videos “stopped getting views.”
In an interview with The Bay Area News Group, the suspect’s father claimed that his daughter recently told her family that the platform had been “censoring” her videos and had stopped paying her for content.
The Mercury News further reports that the suspect’s social media presence has effectively vanished, with her YouTube, Facebook and Instagram pages taken down. Her website also appears to be currently unavailable.