The nominees for the 34th Film Independent Spirit Awards were unveiled by Gemma Chan and Molly Shannon today (Nov. 16) at the W Hotel in Hollywood.
The Spirit Awards will take place in a beachfront tent next to the Santa Monica Pier on Feb. 23 and will be broadcast live on IFC.
The selections are made by voting members of Film Independent, including industry leaders and film lovers, and require that films be produced in the U.S. for less than $20 million.
Among fiction standouts like Eighth Grade and First Reformed were a number of 2018′s high-profile documentaries, competing in the two non-fiction categories.
The nominees for Best Documentary are:
- RaMell Ross’s Hale County This Morning, This Evening
- Bing Liu’s Minding the Gap
- Talal Derki’s Of Fathers and Sons
- Alexandria Bombach’s On Her Shoulders (pictured)
- Sandi Tan’s Shirkers
- Morgan Neville’s Won’t You Be My Neighbor?
The nominees for the Truer Than Fiction award are:
- Alexandria Bombach, for On Her Shoulders
- Bing Liu, for Minding the Gap
- RaMell Ross, for Hale County This Morning, This Evening