The Producers Guild of America (PGA) has unveiled its 2019 Documentary Motion Pictures nominees that will advance to the 30th Annual Producers Guild Awards.
The Producers Guild Awards honor excellence in motion picture and TV production and those who shape the profession.
The list of docs nominated for the Award for Outstanding Producer of Documentary Motion Pictures are listed below, with producer eligibility currently undergoing a vetting process.
- The Dawn Wall, which follows American rock climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson as they attempt to climb seemingly impossible 3,000-foot Dawn Wall in Yosemite National Park.
- Free Solo (pictured), which chronicles Alex Honnold’s quest to ascend Yosemite National Park’s 3,000-foot El Capitan “free solo” — without a climbing partner or safety ropes.
- Hal, a portrait of American director Hal Ashby, the mind behind numerous classic films, who has somehow been overlooked among his celebrated contemporaries.
- Into the Okavango, about the threats against the Okavango River Basin, a vital source of water to humans and wildlife in southwest Africa.
- RBG, a portrait of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
- Three Identical Strangers, which chronicles the bizarre separation and reunion of three identical triplets.
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, about Fred Rogers, the man behind the immensely successful children’s show Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.
The remaining nominees for Theatrical Motion Pictures, Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures, Television Series/Specials, Limited Series Television, Streamed/Televised Movies, and Sports, Children’s and Short Form Programs will be announced on Jan. 4.
The ceremony will take place Jan. 19 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles where the final winners will be announced.
The 2019 Producers Guild Awards event chairs are Donald De Line and Amy Pascal.
In addition to the above-mentioned awards, the PGA will present special honors to individual producers, including recognizing president of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige with its David O. Selznick Achievement Award.