The Motion Picture Sound Editors (MPSE) have unveiled the nominees for the 66th Annual MPSE Golden Reel Awards, recognizing sound artists and their contributions to 2018′s feature film, television, animation and computer entertainment productions in 23 categories.
Non-scripted nominees include some of last summer’s box office champs like Three Identical Strangers and Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, as well as break-out hits from Netflix, National Geographic and HBO, like Shirkers (pictured), Free Solo and The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling, respectively.
“Sound artists continue to push boundaries for artistry and technical achievement in entertainment sound,” said MPSE president Tom McCarthy in a statement. “This year’s nominees represent the best work in sound across films, television, games, documentaries and other media. On behalf of The Motion Picture Sound Editors, I would like to congratulate all the nominees for their outstanding contributions to the art of sound.”
Below is the complete list of non-fiction nominees, across two categories:
- All or Nothing: Michigan Wolverines: “Be the Game Changer” (Amazon Studios)
- Bobby Kennedy for President: “I’d Like to Serve” (Netflix)
- Gymkhana Files: “Where it All Began” (Amazon Studios)
- Medal of Honor (Netflix)
- Operation Odessa (Showtime)
- Searching for Sound: Islandman and VeYasin (Red Bull TV)
- The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (HBO)
- Watergate (Representational Pictures)
Feature Film — Documentary
- Free Solo (National Geographic)
- Generation Wealth (Amazon Studios)
- McQueen (Bleeker Street Media)
- Quincy (Netflix)
- Shirkers (Netflix)
- Three Identical Strangers (Neon)
- They Shall Not Grow Old (Fathom Events)
- They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead (Netflix)
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor? (Focus Features)
The Golden Reel Awards ceremony will be held Feb. 17 at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles.