The London-based Open City Documentary Festival has chosen seven participants for its Assembly initiative, a new development lab for creative docs.
The lab, which will take place just prior to and during the UK doc festival’s upcoming run from September 4-10, is designed to be a project based, intensive workshop for international filmmakers working on their first or second features. As part of the program, participants will engage in workshops and one-to-one mentoring meetings over the course of four days, culminating in a closed pitch for £10,000 in development funding.
The workshop component of the lab takes place from August 31-September 3, while the pitch will take place on September 5. Participants will also be able to take part in talks and networking events ande attend screenings during the festival.
More than 400 submissions for Assembly originating from more than 60 countries came in since the call for submissions in February of this year.
The participants for the 2019 edition of Assembly, and their projects, are:
● Cariua Catu (Portugal). Director: Pedro Lino. Producer: Pandora da Cunha Telles;
● I am Sarah, with an H (UK). Director: Charly Feldman. Producer: Anna von Dziembowska;
● Land of Women (Egypt). Director: Nada Riyadh. Producer: Ayman El Amir;
● NAZ (UK). Directors: Ana Naomi de Sousa & Omar El-Khairy. Producer: Elhum Shakerifar;
● Nowhere Near (USA). Director: Miko Revereza. Producer: Shireen Seno;
● Radio Blackout (UK). Director: Matt Houghton. Producer: Alistair Payne-James;
● The Inventory (Mexico). Director: Ilana Coleman. Producer: Jamie Gonçalves.