The International Documentary Association (IDA) has selected the 16 recipients of grants totaling US$245,000 through its Enterprise Documentary Fund and Pare Lorentz Documentary Fund.
The Enterprise Documentary Fund supports documentary film projects taking on in-depth explorations of original, contemporary stories and integrating journalistic practice into the filmmaking process. The funds total $150,000, with major support from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
Meanwhile, the IDA’s Pare Lorentz Documentary Fund provides production and post-production grants to be used in the creation of “original, independent documentary films that illuminate issues in the United States,” with a focus on issues concerning land or water. The Fund was created in 2011 in honor of legendary documentary filmmaker Pare Lorentz, with support from The New York Community Trust.
“Over the past two years, IDA has significantly expanded its funding of documentary through the addition of the Enterprise Fund and the Jonathan Logan Family Foundation Elevate Grant being added to the existing Pare Lorentz Documentary Fund,” said Simon Kilmurry (pictured, right), executive director of the IDA, in a statement. “Combined, these funds have given out over $2 million in grants directly to filmmakers during the last two years. To support this work, IDA has consolidated its grant-giving efforts into a new Grants department under the leadership of Carrie Lozano (left), Director, IDA Enterprise Documentary Fund, and Program Officer Dana Merwin.”
“We recognize that each phase comes with a unique set of opportunities and challenges, and we hope that our Enterprise Development and Pare Lorentz funds help these talented filmmakers get their projects — which reflect an impressive range of content and creative approaches — to the next level,” added Lozano.
The winners of the Enterprise Fund are listed below:
- Borderlands (w/t), Pamela Yates (director), Paco de Onís (producer)
- Cosricans, Edwin Martinez (director, producer), Jamie Gonçalves (producer)
- Democrats II (w/t), Camilla Nielsson (director), Signe Byrge Sørensen, Joslyn Barnes (producers)
- Hollow Tree, Kira Akerman (director), Chachi Hauser, Jolene Pinder, Monique Walton (producers)
- Hossain, Taimi Arvidson (director), Brette Ragland, Neaz Mahmud Roni (producers)
- Q, Jude Chehab (director)
- Run With It, Dee Hibbert-Jones (director, producer), Nomi Talisman (director, producer)
- Untitled Documentary, Julia Bacha (director), Suhad Babaa, Daniel J. Chalfen (producers)
- Untitled Michael Premo Documentary, Michael Premo (director)
- Untitled Stasi Documentary, Gabriel Silverman (director, producer) Jamie Coughlin (director, producer)
- USERS (w/t), Natalia Almada (director, producer), Elizabeth Lodge Stepp, Josh Penn (producers)
The five Pare Lorentz Documentary Fund projects listed below will receive grants totaling $95,000:
- Alabamaland, April Dobbins (director), Moira Griffin, Trevite Willis (producers)
- Conscience Point, Treva Wurmfeld (director), Julianna Brannum, Alli Joseph (producers)
- Poetry of Cowboys, Mike Day (director), Charlotte Cook (producer)
- The Sacred & The Snake, Sara Lafleur-Vetter & Jonathan Klett (directors), Romin Johnson (producer)
- Untitled Puerto Rico Documentary, Cecilia Aldarondo (director), Ines Hofmann Kanna (producer)