Global superindie Banijay is officially pulling out of this year’s physical MIPCOM market in October, making it one of the first major players to exit the Cannes-set event.
A Banijay spokesperson said in a statement: “As ever, the health and safety of our teams remains paramount. Given the continuing uncertainty around border and social restrictions, we have taken the decision not to exhibit at this year’s MIPCOM. While we’re disappointed not to be attending, we look forward to being back in Cannes next year, and in the meantime, we’re fortunate to have a hugely talented sales team with a great screening platform, and innovative marketing support, who continue to prosper and champion our brands virtually.”
The news was first reported by Variety.
In September of last year — following news that ITV Studios, BBC Studios, A+E Networks, Fremantle and other key players were pulling out of the 2020 event — the Paris-headquartered producer-distributor confirmed it would not be exhibiting at the Palais des Festivals, then planned as a hybrid conference before moving entirely online.
BBC Studios previously confirmed it would also not be traveling to the Croisette this fall. Fremantle declined to comment in response to a request from Realscreen.
Beyond Rights is still considering its plans and no firm decision has been made either way yet, a spokesperson said. Realscreen understands ITV Studios has also not made a firm decision decision as to whether it will attend the in-person event.
The conference is slated for October 12 to 15, headquartered in its traditional hub of the Palais des Festivals, with MIPJunior taking place on October 10 and 11 at the JW Marriott.
In announcing the news of its return to in-person gatherings, RX France said it will work with its event partners to “have in place rigorous guidelines and advanced safety measures.”
This is a developing story. With files from Barry Walsh