- VICE on TV is an information network. The network focuses on news, documentaries, and information-driven, factual programming. It is primarily looking for repeatable formats or documentary series. In terms of tone, it's looking for programming that is honest, fearless, immersive, curious, and provocative.
The network’s programming falls into two main buckets. The first, and primary focus area for it is docuseries. In particular, the development team is interested in series that show viewers another side of a world or subject area they think they’re familiar with. Examples of these kinds of shows include <>Dark Side of the Ring, which covers dark and untold stories from the world of professional wrestling, and How to Rob a Bank, which is a series about bank heists told from the first person perspective of the robbers.
The things these series have in common is great access, the hidden side or unexpected story of something, and the fact that these stories can only be told on Vice TV.
Another bucket that the network team is always looking for is nightly or weekly topical series anchored around great talent that they can pair with the network’s nightly news programming. Examples of this include Cari and Jemele Stick to Sports with Cari Champion and Jemele Hill, No Mercy No Malice with Scott Galloway and Desus and Mero. The network team loves talent who have strong and unique points of view, who are the only ones who could possibly create the show they are pitching.
Content areas to avoid pitching to the network include:
* cannabis content
* food content
* structured reality programs
* animal content
* series that are primarily international in scope
* series around current events that are already being covered extensively by the internal Vice News team.
- In terms of formats, hours are preferable to half hours. The network prefers formats and repeatable series to one-off mini series. The network team accepts pitches for standalone documentaries, but typically they try to pair those with existing programming so they can reach the widest audience possible.