Bobbi Jene Smith (pictured), Jane Goodall and Yance Ford are among the non-fiction subjects named in Cinema Eye’s fifth annual list of “Unforgettables.”
The annual list, which is sponsored by the Camden International Film Festival, seeks to celebrate notable film subjects that have appeared in recent docs in a bid to celebrate the “unique collaborations” between filmmakers and their subjects.
Cinema Eye’s nominations committee selected 30 individuals from across 15 films for the 2017 edition of the Unforgettables list. The committee comprises leading documentary film programmers, curators and filmmakers in the running for this year’s awards.
The Unforgettables is one of Cinema Eye’s non-competitive distinctive honors. Subjects selected to this list of Unforgettables will be celebrated at the Cinema Eye Honors Lunch, to be held on Jan. 10 in Manhattan.
The full slate of Cinema Eye nominations for nonfiction feature, short and broadcast films/series will be announced Nov. 3 in San Francisco at SFFILM’s Doc Stories event.
Awards will be presented in New York City at the Museum of the Moving Image on Jan. 11.
This year’s list includes the following subjects:
- Chanterelle Sung, Hwei Lin Sung, Jill Sung, Thomas Sung and Vera Sung| ABACUS: Small Enough To Jail
- Bobbi Jene Smith | Bobbi Jene
- Abdul-Aziz al-Hamza, Hamoud al-Mousa and Abu Mohammed | City of Ghosts
- Ola Kaczanowska | Communion
- Dolores Huerta | Dolores
- Dina Buno and Scott Levin | Dina
- Agnés Varda | Faces Places
- Daje Shelton | For Ahkeem
- Grigory Rodchenkov | Icarus
- Jane Goodall | Jane
- Jim Carrey | Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
- Christine Rainey, Christopher “Quest” Rainey, PJ Rainey and William Rainey | Quest
- Yance Ford | Strong Island
- Jennifer Brea | Unrest
- Brian, Charles, Chris, Dark Cloud, Kiki and Vegas | The Work