Rachel Lears’ Knock Down the House is among the feature docs being showcased as special presentations at Hot Docs this year.
The 15 documentary films selected are a high-profile collection of world and international premieres and award winners from the recent international festival circuit, as well as works by master filmmakers or featuring star subjects.
Knock Down the House follows four female progressive candidates, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (pictured), a congresswoman for New York’s 14th District, as they campaign against prominent incumbents in the 2018 midterm elections. The film took home the audience award at Sundance last month, where it had its world premiere, and was picked up by Netflix soon after.
Also featured are Elizabeth Carroll’s Nothing Fancy: Diana Kennedy, about the eponymous 96-year-old chef known as “the Mick Jagger of Mexican cuisine,” and Jeffrey Palmer’s N. Scott Momaday: Words From a Bear, about one of Native America’s most celebrated literary figures.
Hot Docs runs from April 25 to May 5 in Toronto. The full program, including the opening night film, will be announced on March 19.
The full list of special presentation titles follows, in alphabetical order:
- Advocate (directors: Rachel Leah Jones and Philippe Bellaiche; producers: Joëlle Bertossa and Paul Cadieux; Canada, Israel, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland; Canadian premiere)
- Always in Season (director: Jacqueline Olive; producers: Jacqueline Olive and Jessica Devaney; USA; international premiere)
- Assholes: A Theory (director: John Walker; producers: Ann Bernier, Annette Clarke and John Walker; Canada; North American premiere)
- Buddy (director: Heddy Honigmann; producer: John Appel; Netherlands; Canadian premiere)
- The Corporate Coup D’Etat (director: Fred Peabody; producer: Peter Raymont; Canada; Canadian premiere)
- The Edge of Democracy (director: Petra Costa; producer: Joanna Natasegara; Brazil; Canadian premiere)
- Gaza (directors: Garry Keane and Andrew McConnell; producers: Paul Cadieux and Brendan J. Byrne; Canada; Canadian premiere)
- Human Nature (director: Adam Bolt; producers: Sarah Goodwin, Meredith Desalazar and Elliot Kirschner; USA; Canadian premiere)
- Killing Patient Zero (director: Laurie Lynd; producer: Corey Russell; Canada; world premiere)
- Knock Down the House (director: Rachel Lears; producers: Rachel Lears, Robin Blotnick and Sarah Olson; USA; international premiere)
- N. Scott Momaday: Words From a Bear (director: Jeffrey Palmer; producers: Jeffrey Palmer and Youngsun Palmer; USA; international premiere)
- Nothing Fancy: Diana Kennedy (director: Elizabeth Carroll; producers: Elizabeth Carroll, Dan Braun and Gina Abatemarco; USA; international premiere)
- Push (director: Fredrik Gertten; producer: Margarete Jangård; Sweden; North American premiere)
- Toxic Beauty (director: Phyllis Ellis; producers: Peter Raymont and Barri Cohen; Canada; world premiere)
- The Trial of Ratko Mladic (directors: Henry Singer and Rob Miller; producers: Henry Singer, Rob Miller and Ida Bruusgaard; UK and Norway; Canadian premiere)