Realscreen will once again be working in partnership with Israeli producer-distributor Armoza Formats, part of ITV Studios, to bring the next edition of format competition Formagination back to this year’s Realscreen West event, taking place this June in Dana Point, California.
Formagination, celebrating its 10th anniversary, serves as a unique format competition and a launching pad for international creativity. Whether you are a professional content creator working in the media industry or an individual from any walk of life with a great idea for a TV show, the competition is open for anyone with a format idea.
Last year’s winner came from Houston-based producer Adam Jeffrey Everist (pictured, left) whose dating competition format Love at Last Sight saw contestants looking for love via the use of every sense except for sight. Various challenges are employed to test a potential match’s suitability through smell, sound, touch and taste.
“For 10 years, Formagination has fostered creativity in the industry to turn ideas into hit formats on a global level,” said Armoza Formats founder and CEO Avi Armoza (right) in a statement. “With previous successes such as Sex Tape, which will soon air in Germany and Finland, and Marry Me Now, which has already aired in Russia, Germany, Poland and South Africa, we look forward to partnering with Realscreen to find the next hit TV format.”
“Armoza Formats are great partners,” added Claire Macdonald, VP, publisher at Realscreen. “We are delighted to be working with them once again to find the next big format.”
Three prizes will be awarded at the live presentation of Formagination at Realscreen West, as follows:
- 1st place winner: up to US$25,000, which shall be awarded in two stages ($5,000 for further development of the format, and up to $20,000 to shoot a pilot if approved for production), as well as one (1) registration to Realscreen Summit 2021 in New Orleans.
- 2nd place winner: an Entertainment Master Class module scholarship and one (1) registration to Realscreen Summit 2021.
- Audience favorite: one (1) registration to Realscreen Summit 2021.
The prizing above does not include travel and lodging expenses. Full prize details can be downloaded and reviewed within the competition rules and regulations.
The formats eligible for the competition should include the following criteria:
- Genre: non-scripted format (no scripted formats or children’s programming will be accepted, cross genre elements are possible)
- ‘Game-changing’ Concepts – fresh and creative ideas that create a buzz and stand out, no matter the genre or the type of show it is.
- Unique Format Elements – what are the distinct elements that make up the DNA of your concept? Make sure to highlight what sets it apart from other formats—whether it’s the studio, mechanics, set, gameplay, or visual elements.
- Repeatability and adaptability – a truly successful format can sustain multiple seasons across different countries.
In addition to the entry form, applicants are required to submit a pitch presentation deck (a Word doc, a PowerPoint file or a PDF) that presents the format, as well as a signed Development and Distribution Agreement, that will come into effect only if selected as a finalist. Applicants may also supplement their submission with a two-minute video of themselves pitching the concept.
The deadline for entry submissions is Friday, March 6, 2020 at 5:00pm ET.
Semi-finalists will be shortlisted and invited to a Skype call with Armoza Formats to present their format between the dates of March 18-24, 2020.
Finalists will then be selected to have their format workshopped with Armoza’s development team in the weeks leading up to Realscreen West, culminating in the live presentation of their concept at Realscreen West during a special session on Wednesday, June 3, 2020.
Finalists invited to present at Realscreen West will be provided one (1) complimentary registration to the event to help facilitate their participation.
Realscreen West 2020 takes place from June 2-4 at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa in Dana Point, California.
For more information on Formagination, click here.